US asks North Korea to comply with international obligations
Washington: The US on Monday asked North Korea to comply with its international obligations and focus on the well-being of its people rather than spending lavishly on entertaining the elites of the country.
"The United States has direct channels of communications with the DPRK (or North Korea). And instead of spending money on celebrity sporting events to entertain the elites of that country, the North Korean regime should focus on the well-being of its own people, who have been starved, imprisoned and denied their human rights," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters.
"We have urged the North Korean leadership to heed President Obama`s call to choose the path of peace and coming into compliance with its international obligations. North Korea`s actions, however, directly violate United Nations Security Council resolutions and threaten international peace and security," he said.
"I think that what I just said makes clear that North Korea ought to be focusing on its own citizens and opportunities to improve their lives, and the United States has channels of communications directly with the DPRK, and those are the channels we choose to employ," Carney said.
At another news conference, State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell said the US diplomacy is focused on bringing North Korean in line with its international obligations.
"And what we`ve seen from this leader of North Korea, since taking power are provocative actions, ballistic missile tests, nuclear tests, continued starvation of people, continuing not to focus on lives of his own citizens," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL