US to aid Syrian refugees, offers USD 300 million
Enniskillen: President Barack Obama will tell G8 leaders that Washington is offering a new USD 300 million aid package for refugees inside and outside Syria, a senior official said.
The new donation will bring the total of US humanitarian aid to Syrian refugees over USD 800 million (600 million euros) and will include food, water and materials for shelter, deputy national security advisor Ben Rhodes told reporters.
Obama`s fresh aid pledge comes days after the White House made clear it was upping military support for Syrian rebels battling President Bashar al-Assad`s forces, including small arms and ammunition.
Previously, Washington had confined its support for Syria to non-lethal aid and humanitarian assistance.
Some 1.6 million Syrians have fled since the Syria conflict began in 2011, mostly to neighbouring nations. Another 4.25 million have been displaced within the country itself, according to the United Nations.
Obama was due to announce the new US aid at a dinner of G8 leaders at the Lough Erne golf resort in Northern Ireland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter