US to aid Syrian refugees, offers USD 300 million
Enniskillen: President Barack Obama will tell G8 leaders that Washington is offering a new USD 300 million aid package for refugees inside and outside Syria, a senior official said.
The new donation will bring the total of US humanitarian aid to Syrian refugees over USD 800 million (600 million euros) and will include food, water and materials for shelter, deputy national security advisor Ben Rhodes told reporters.
Obama`s fresh aid pledge comes days after the White House made clear it was upping military support for Syrian rebels battling President Bashar al-Assad`s forces, including small arms and ammunition.
Previously, Washington had confined its support for Syria to non-lethal aid and humanitarian assistance.
Some 1.6 million Syrians have fled since the Syria conflict began in 2011, mostly to neighbouring nations. Another 4.25 million have been displaced within the country itself, according to the United Nations.
Obama was due to announce the new US aid at a dinner of G8 leaders at the Lough Erne golf resort in Northern Ireland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!