US to aid Syrian refugees, offers USD 300 million
Enniskillen: President Barack Obama will tell G8 leaders that Washington is offering a new USD 300 million aid package for refugees inside and outside Syria, a senior official said.
The new donation will bring the total of US humanitarian aid to Syrian refugees over USD 800 million (600 million euros) and will include food, water and materials for shelter, deputy national security advisor Ben Rhodes told reporters.
Obama`s fresh aid pledge comes days after the White House made clear it was upping military support for Syrian rebels battling President Bashar al-Assad`s forces, including small arms and ammunition.
Previously, Washington had confined its support for Syria to non-lethal aid and humanitarian assistance.
Some 1.6 million Syrians have fled since the Syria conflict began in 2011, mostly to neighbouring nations. Another 4.25 million have been displaced within the country itself, according to the United Nations.
Obama was due to announce the new US aid at a dinner of G8 leaders at the Lough Erne golf resort in Northern Ireland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das