Will fight to defend Falkland Islands: David Cameron
London: British Prime Minister David Cameron said that the country is prepared to defend the Falkland Islands with military force if Argentina launched another invasion.
Speaking on the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show, Cameron said troops would be deployed if Buenos Aires makes another attempt to re-take the islands.
He made the UK’s ‘extremely strong’ position clear after Argentine President Cristina Fernandez again accused Britain of stealing the islands.
According to the BBC, her position has hardened since last year’s 10 year anniversary of the Falklands War and the discovery of potential oil resources off the coast of the islands.
Cameron said he would fight to keep the Falklands in the same way Margaret Thatcher launched forces to protect the islanders in 1982, the report said.
Cameron has been warned by admirals that Britain might not have the military capability to liberate the Falklands if Argentina mounted an invasion.
However, he insisted that the UK’s forces are strong enough, pointing out that Britain’s defence spending is the fifth highest in the world.
Cameron has repeatedly stressed that the residents of the Falkland Island have the right to decide their future.
Earlier this week, he rejected Argentina’s claims to the Island and said if its inhabitants chose to remain British he would back them ‘100 percent’, the report added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India