Will fight to defend Falkland Islands: David Cameron
London: British Prime Minister David Cameron said that the country is prepared to defend the Falkland Islands with military force if Argentina launched another invasion.
Speaking on the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show, Cameron said troops would be deployed if Buenos Aires makes another attempt to re-take the islands.
He made the UK’s ‘extremely strong’ position clear after Argentine President Cristina Fernandez again accused Britain of stealing the islands.
According to the BBC, her position has hardened since last year’s 10 year anniversary of the Falklands War and the discovery of potential oil resources off the coast of the islands.
Cameron said he would fight to keep the Falklands in the same way Margaret Thatcher launched forces to protect the islanders in 1982, the report said.
Cameron has been warned by admirals that Britain might not have the military capability to liberate the Falklands if Argentina mounted an invasion.
However, he insisted that the UK’s forces are strong enough, pointing out that Britain’s defence spending is the fifth highest in the world.
Cameron has repeatedly stressed that the residents of the Falkland Island have the right to decide their future.
Earlier this week, he rejected Argentina’s claims to the Island and said if its inhabitants chose to remain British he would back them ‘100 percent’, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS