Zuma cancels trip as Mandela`s condition worsens
Johannesburg: Ailing anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela`s health has deteriorated further, forcing South African President Jacob Zuma on Wednesday to cancel his trip to Mozambique.
Zuma visited the gravely ill Mandela late Tuesday night.
94-year-old Mandela has been in hospital since June 8 for a recurring lung ailment and his condition has been deteriorating since Sunday.
Reports have said that he is on life support as his clan elders gather to address the situation.
Zuma`s decision not to attend the crucial summit of Southern African Development Community (SADC) today despite South Africa being a major partner in the bloc, has further highlighted the seriousness of Mandela`s condition.
Presidential spokesperson Mac Maharaj said after Zuma`s late-night visit that Mandela`s condition has worsened over the past 48 hours.
Maharaj said doctors had assured Zuma "they are still doing everything they can to ensure Mandela`s wellbeing."
News of Mandela`s deteriorating health has overshadowed the maiden visit of US President Barak Obama, who is due to arrive in South Africa on Thursday and meet Zuma on Saturday.
Mandela`s condition has also raised concerns with organisers of two of South Africa`s biggest events over the next fortnight, the Durban July and the Grahamstown Arts Festival, both of which attract people from around the world.
Organisers of both events said they would await the advice of the government on whether to proceed with the events next week.
On Tuesday, Phathekile Holomisa, a traditional leader near Mandela`s ancestral home in Eastern Cape Province, said that while it would be painful to lose the ailing leader, his fate should be `left to God`.
"Like everybody else, if Madiba (Mandela`s clan name) is no longer enjoying life and is basically on life support then the good Lord must take a decision to put him to rest," Holomisa told media.
Mandela, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate who served as South Africa`s first black President from 1994 to 1999, is widely regarded as the father of the nation for leading the struggle against apartheid and for democracy.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged