Bihar MLA wears garland of fruits, vegetables in protest against inflation
Patna: Protesting against rising inflation, an RJD MLA Wednesday stood at the entrance of Bihar Assembly with a garland of onions, potatoes other vegetables and fruits.
The MLA, Dinesh Kumar Singh also known as Bhai Dinesh said, "I had made my intentions clear that I would garland the first BJP MLA I come across. After all, BJP is in power at the Centre and it is now responsible for the unchecked price rise all over the country. Hence I wanted to pay my respect to its legislators."
The BJP MLAs made conscious efforts to evade him and when Singh could not garland any of them, he wore it himself and roamed around for some time drawing smiles from the legislators.
"I wore it because after all I am also from the public. It is the common man who bears the brunt of price rise. Nobody who is responsible for inflation takes its responsibility," he said.
Singh, a legislator from Jagdishpur constituency in Bhojpur district, said he had to spend two hours in the morning to make the garland as he first went around in the city to buy an assortment of onions, potatoes, brinjals, bananas, ladyfingers, bitter-gourd, apples, pears and other fruits and vegetables. He then stringed them to make the garland.
"The farmers sell their produce at low prices but it go up by 400 to 500 per cent by the time they reach the market. Who is doing this? There seems to be no control over hoarders, traders and businessmen in the country. They fix whatever rates they want to."
The MLA said that nowhere in Bihar the wholesellers and retailers display the prices of commodities. This allows them to charge high prices and the state government is not doing anything to prevent it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal