Bihar MLA wears garland of fruits, vegetables in protest against inflation
Patna: Protesting against rising inflation, an RJD MLA Wednesday stood at the entrance of Bihar Assembly with a garland of onions, potatoes other vegetables and fruits.
The MLA, Dinesh Kumar Singh also known as Bhai Dinesh said, "I had made my intentions clear that I would garland the first BJP MLA I come across. After all, BJP is in power at the Centre and it is now responsible for the unchecked price rise all over the country. Hence I wanted to pay my respect to its legislators."
The BJP MLAs made conscious efforts to evade him and when Singh could not garland any of them, he wore it himself and roamed around for some time drawing smiles from the legislators.
"I wore it because after all I am also from the public. It is the common man who bears the brunt of price rise. Nobody who is responsible for inflation takes its responsibility," he said.
Singh, a legislator from Jagdishpur constituency in Bhojpur district, said he had to spend two hours in the morning to make the garland as he first went around in the city to buy an assortment of onions, potatoes, brinjals, bananas, ladyfingers, bitter-gourd, apples, pears and other fruits and vegetables. He then stringed them to make the garland.
"The farmers sell their produce at low prices but it go up by 400 to 500 per cent by the time they reach the market. Who is doing this? There seems to be no control over hoarders, traders and businessmen in the country. They fix whatever rates they want to."
The MLA said that nowhere in Bihar the wholesellers and retailers display the prices of commodities. This allows them to charge high prices and the state government is not doing anything to prevent it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city