Scientists find 10 new coral species in Hawaii
Pearl Harbor: Scientists returning from a 30-day research expedition to the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands found what they believe are 10 new species of coral.
Researchers returned to Oahu on Friday from the remote string of atolls that make up the largest conservation area in the country, the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument.
They found the species during a series of dives from Nihoa Island in the south to Kure Atoll in the north.
More than half were found at deep water coral reefs more than 150 feet below the surface of the Pacific Ocean.
Scientists plan to analyze the specimens they gathered to verify they`re species that haven`t been identified before.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"