Scientists find 10 new coral species in Hawaii
Pearl Harbor: Scientists returning from a 30-day research expedition to the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands found what they believe are 10 new species of coral.
Researchers returned to Oahu on Friday from the remote string of atolls that make up the largest conservation area in the country, the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument.
They found the species during a series of dives from Nihoa Island in the south to Kure Atoll in the north.
More than half were found at deep water coral reefs more than 150 feet below the surface of the Pacific Ocean.
Scientists plan to analyze the specimens they gathered to verify they`re species that haven`t been identified before.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Gurdaspur terror attack- As it happened
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- APJ Abdul Kalam: Not Hindu, Not Muslim – Death of an 'Indian'
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India