Jogging boosts brain power
Cambridge: Jogging a couple of days a week can significantly improve memory, say researchers.
The study led by Cambridge University showed that running triggered the growth of hundreds of thousands of new brain cells in a region that is linked to the formation and recollection of memories.
"We know exercise can be good for healthy brain function, but this work provides us with a mechanism for the effect," a newspaper quoted Timothy Bussey, a behavioural neuroscientist at Cambridge and the study`s senior author as saying.
During the study, researchers followed two groups of mice, one of which had unlimited access to a running wheel throughout, whey they clocked up an average of 15 miles (24km) a day, while the other mice formed a control group.
The mice were placed in front of a computer screen, which displayed two identical squares side by side.
According to the study, if they nudged the one on the left with their nose they received a sugar pellet reward.
If they nudged the one on the right, they got nothing.
They were then subjected to a memory test where the more they nudged the correct square, the better they scored.
The findings revealed that the running mice scored nearly twice as high as the control group during the memory test.
However, the greatest improvement occurred in the later stages of the experiment, when the two squares were so close they nearly touched.
"At this stage of the experiment, the two memories the mice are forming of the squares are very similar," Bussey said.
"It is when they have to distinguish between the two that these new brain cells really make a difference," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi