7 simple lifestyle changes that can add decade to one’s lifespan
Washington: A new study has claimed that simple lifestyle changes can add a decade or more healthy years to the average lifespan of a normal human being.
According to noted cardiologist Dr. Clyde Yancy, the focus on prevention strategies would reduce cardiovascular disease, which will in turn would save billions of dollars in heath costs.
Dr. Yancy says that with seven simple steps to a healthy life, one can expect to live an additional 40 to 50 years after the age of 50.
“Achieving these seven simple lifestyle factors gives people a 90 per cent chance of living to the age of 90 or 100, free of not only heart disease and stroke but from a number of other chronic illnesses including cancer,” said Dr. Yancy, a professor of medicine and chief of cardiology at the Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine.
“By following these steps, we can compress life-threatening disease into the final stages of life and maintain quality of life for the longest possible time,” he added.
Dr. Yancy said that a person could achieve optimal health, by following simple steps like being active, as people who are physically inactive are twice as likely to be at risk for heart disease or stroke.
Limiting cholesterol intake would be second, as adults have high blood cholesterol, which can lead to the build up of fatty deposits in your arteries.
Eating healthy, knowing and controlling blood pressure, maintaining a healthy weight, prevention from diabetes and living smoke-free were other steps prescribed by the health specialist for a healthy living.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam