7 simple lifestyle changes that can add decade to one’s lifespan
Washington: A new study has claimed that simple lifestyle changes can add a decade or more healthy years to the average lifespan of a normal human being.
According to noted cardiologist Dr. Clyde Yancy, the focus on prevention strategies would reduce cardiovascular disease, which will in turn would save billions of dollars in heath costs.
Dr. Yancy says that with seven simple steps to a healthy life, one can expect to live an additional 40 to 50 years after the age of 50.
“Achieving these seven simple lifestyle factors gives people a 90 per cent chance of living to the age of 90 or 100, free of not only heart disease and stroke but from a number of other chronic illnesses including cancer,” said Dr. Yancy, a professor of medicine and chief of cardiology at the Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine.
“By following these steps, we can compress life-threatening disease into the final stages of life and maintain quality of life for the longest possible time,” he added.
Dr. Yancy said that a person could achieve optimal health, by following simple steps like being active, as people who are physically inactive are twice as likely to be at risk for heart disease or stroke.
Limiting cholesterol intake would be second, as adults have high blood cholesterol, which can lead to the build up of fatty deposits in your arteries.
Eating healthy, knowing and controlling blood pressure, maintaining a healthy weight, prevention from diabetes and living smoke-free were other steps prescribed by the health specialist for a healthy living.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results LIVE: BJP registers emphatic win; PM Narendra Modi says it's a great start to 2017
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17