Babies explore their own bodies while in womb
Washington: A new research has revealed that babies explore their bodies as part of their development and even learn how to anticipate touch while still in the womb.
Nadja Reissland , of the Department of Psychology at Durham University said that during the research they observed sequential events, which show maturation in the development of fetuses, which is the basis for life after birth.
Reissland along with her team conducted a total of 60 scans of 15 healthy fetuses at monthly intervals between 24-36 weeks of gestation.
The researchers observed that fetuses frequently touched the upper part and sides of their heads, during the earlier part of that developmental period, while they began to increasingly touch the lower, more sensitive, part of their faces as time went on.
It was found that at 36 weeks of gestation, a significantly higher proportion of fetuses opened their mouths before touching them, which according to the researchers suggests that later in pregnancy the babies were able to anticipate contact between hand and mouth rather than simply reacting to it.
Co-author Brian Francis, Professor of Social Statistics at Lancaster, said that this effect is likely to be evolutionarily determined, preparing the child for life outside the womb.
The study is published in the journal Developmental Psychobiology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery