Brush your teeth twice daily `to avoid heart disease`
London: Here`s another reason to brush
your teeth at least twice everyday -- poor dental hygiene can
significantly raise your risk of developing heart disease,
A new study, published in the British Medical Journal,
found that those who don`t brush their teeth regularly are 70
percent more likely to develop heart disease than those who`re
conscientious about cleaning their teeth morning and night.
"Our results confirmed and further strengthened
the suggested association between oral hygiene and the risk of
(heart) disease," Professor Richard Watt of University College
London, who led the study, said.
The study looked at data on more than 11,000 adults.
All the subjects were asked about their lifestyle behaviours,
including how often they brushed their teeth.
Nurses also took information on medical history
and family history of heart disease as well as blood pressure
levels and blood samples. The subjects were then followed for
an average of eight years.
Of those involved, just over six out of 10 visited
their dentist every six months while 71 per cent said they
brushed their teeth twice a day. During the following eight
years, there were 555 examples of serious heart problems
including heart attacks. Of these, 170 were fatal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US