Genetically modified herpes virus can block spread of cancer
London: Scientists have developed a genetically modified herpes virus which they claim can block the spread of breast and ovarian cancer.
Italian scientists believe the virus, which has been reprogrammed so it no longer harms humans, could form the basis of a potent new cancer treatment.
The `oncolytic` herpes simplex virus (HSV) attacks especially aggressive tumours that have an over-active Her-2 gene, the `Daily Mail` reported.
When the modified virus was injected into mice growing human breast and ovarian tumours, it strongly inhibited the spread of cancer cells.
"Numerous laboratories worldwide are using viruses as more specific weapons against cancer cells, called oncolytic viruses," lead scientist Professor Gabriella Campadelli-Fiume, from the University of Bologna in Italy, said.
"Safety concerns prevailed so far, and all oncolytic herpes viruses now in clinical trials are debilitated viruses, effective only against a fraction of tumours," said Campadelli-Fiume.
"We were the first to obtain a herpes virus reprogrammed to enter Her-2-positive tumour cells, unable to infect any other cell, yet preserves the full-blown killing capacity of the wild-type HSV," Campadelli-Fiume added.
In mice with breast and ovarian cancer, the virus prevented tumour spread through the abdominal cavity.
Breast cancer spread to the ovaries and brain was greatly reduced, but the virus did not prevent lung metastasis.
The study was published in the journal Public Library of Science Pathogens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey