New device can detect cancer or any disease in ten minutes
London: A UK scientist claims to have developed a cheap, hand-held device that detects almost any disease such as TB, malaria, HIV infection or cancer in just 10 minutes.
The Q-POC machine, costing 500 pounds, can micro-analyse tumours and the genetic signatures of the disease before advising on the best type of drugs to use.
Using his garage in Uckfield, East Sussex, as a makeshift laboratory, 37-year-old Jonathan O`Halloran hit on the ground-breaking idea of releasing DNA within a barely visible sample and making multiple copies to allow an accurate diagnosis, whether cancer mutations exist and which oncology drugs will work best.
The device is undergoing rigorous clinical trials and could be used across the National Health Service (NHS) as early as next year, the `Daily Express` reported.
The first prototypes are in advanced trials and experts say they have the potential to prolong the lives of newly-diagnosed cancer sufferers and save the lives of millions with infectious diseases.
"We are using the device to extract, amplify and analyse DNA from tumours or other samples to make sure the patient gets a personalised service as soon as possible," said O`Halloran.
"We see this working alongside histopathologists and clinical oncologists to provide the missing link ? a personalised service for cancer sufferers.
"It will also provide rapid diagnosis for TB, malaria, HIV and STIs, giving doctors key information on which drugs will treat the disease.
The idea now is to make these devices available to doctors and health professionals," he said.
The invention is being developed by British company QuantuMDx Group in partnership with Newcastle University.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know