Painkillers, antibiotics among 9 drugs under govt scanner
New Delhi: Nine commonly used painkillers,
antibiotics and cholesterol controlling medicines have come
under the scanner of the Union Health Ministry for adverse
side affects, including death and congenital disability.
The Ministry identified the nine drugs as part of its
national vigilance programme launched today to monitor drugs
that have adverse drug reactions so as to build a database to
help in recommending withdrawal of such medicines and their
suspension, if needed.
These drugs are `Rosuvastatin` used as lipid lowering
cholesterol-control agent, COX-2 Inhibitors, Analgen and
Phenylbutazone used as pain killers, Nimesulide another pain
killer, Phenylpropylamine prescribed as nasal decongestant,
Thioridazine an antipsychotic drug, Furazolidone an
anti-dysentery drug and Gatifloxacin an antibiotic.
"Focused monitoring on the nine drugs have been decided
today by the team of national pharmacovigilance program. These
are those drugs that have reported of side effects in Indian
population," Dr Y K Gupta, head of the department of
pharmacology AIIMS, who is also part of the programme said.
The National Pharmacovigilance Program started under the
Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation of the Ministry is
looking at side effects which could cause death, disability,
hospitalisation, congenital anomaly and which have life
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Meet Kirti Bharti, the new topper of Bihar Intermediate exams in Arts stream!
- Agra boy seeks PM Modi, CM Akhilesh's help for his blood cancer treatment
- Armoured cars now mandatory to accompany security forces in Kashmir
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Guess who? Angered by film failure, this actor breaks hotel furniture
- Determined Sonakshi Sinha's first 'Akira' poster looks intriguing! – Pic inside
- Turkey allows more patrol flights on Syria border by NATO allies: Official
- Video: How Wales's players celebrated rivals England's exit from the Euro 2016. Crazy!
- Anna Hazare unveils poster of his biopic