Sprite could help get rid of hangovers
Washington: Researchers have claimed that a drink, known as Sprite in Britain could help you cure your hangover from yesterday.
After boozing, the human body undergoes 2-stage-metabolic-process to break down the ethanol.
In the beginning the liver metabolises ethanol into acetaldehyde through an enzyme, alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH), before breaking it into acetate by aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH).
Researchers from Sun Yat-Sen University in Guangzhou observed the way a number of drinks affected the way in which the body metabolised alcohol.
They analysed 57 different drinks, which includes herbal infusions, teas, and carbonated beverages, and measured their effects on ADH and ALDH and found that each brew had a different effect.
They also found that while some herbal teas slowed the process, thus prolonging a hangover, Sprite was found to actually speed the enzyme's work up, which meant that the beverage could ease a hangover as it shortened the body's exposure to acetaldehyde, the Independent reported.
The study's findings have been published in the Royal Society of Chemistry journal Food and Function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter