Winter special: 5 reasons to say yes to almonds
Ever wondered why your grandmother used to tell you to have almonds daily? The answer lies in the simple reason that almonds are one of the healthiest super food you can ever get. They are encumbered with essential nutrients, vitamins, minerals, fatty acids and dietary fibres which are necessary for a healthy mind and body. Almonds are usually eaten raw, but people also use them as an ingredient in making salads.
So, we bring to you six best health benefits of almonds:
Regulates cholesterol: Regular consumption of almonds help maintain the cholesterol level as they help raise high density lipoproteins (HDL) or ‘good’ cholesterol levels and lower the amount of low density lipo proteins (LDL) or ‘bad’ cholesterol levels.
Good for a healthy brain: If you want good memory, then consume at least four to five almonds daily as they help sharpen memory.
Skin care: Almond oil is used widely for skincare. The human skin tends to lose its essential oils due to the hectic city life and winter dryness. But a body massage done with almond oil works wonders for the skin by restoring its lost sheen.
Prevention of constipation: Almonds are a rich source of fibre. Thus, they help in preventing constipation and aid in proper bowel movement.
Protection against diabetes: Almonds control the unwanted rise in blood sugar and insulin levels after every meal we consume thereby serving as a protective wall against awful diseases.
Helps prevent Birth defects: Folic acid present in almonds play an important role in healthy growth of cells and tissues. Consuming almonds act as a strong defense system against birth defects. Therefore, these wonder nuts are very necessary for a healthy growth of the foetus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared to be declared today at 3PM