Seven reasons why you should eat fish
Health experts have for long recognised that consuming fish at least twice a week can reduce the risk of various diseases and disorders.
This super food which is a major source of omega-3 fatty acids is also packaged with filling protein and vitamin D, zinc, magnesium and iron.
Here are the health benefits of including fish in your diet:
1. Eating oily fish lowers the levels of fats called triglycerides in the blood which reduces the risk of heart disease and improves your chances of survival following a heart attack.
2. Fish oils also help reduce blood clotting and abnormal heart rhythms after a heart attack.
3. Polyunsaturated fatty acids found in many fish aid in healthy brain functioning by preventing damage to brain cells. Having fish at least twice a week helps decrease the risk of depression, ADHD, Alzheimer’s disease, dementia.
4. Omega-3 fatty acids, which are believed to raise levels of the brain chemical serotonin helps ease depression.
5. Shellfish, such as crab, mussels and lobster contains selenium, which is thought to have cancer-fighting properties.
6. Good for diabetic patients as it helps regulate blood sugar levels.
7. Helps relieve the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis and autoimmune disease.
Compiled by: Liji Varghese