Missing protein kick-starts male fertility
Washington: Adding a missing protein to infertile human sperm can “kick-start” its ability to fertilise an egg and dramatically increase the chances of a successful pregnancy, researchers say.
A team of researchers from Cardiff University first found that sperm transfers a vital protein, known as PLC-zeta (PLCz), to the egg upon fertilisation.
This sperm protein initiates a process called ‘egg activation’ which sets off all the biological processes necessary for development of an embryo.
Now, the team has found that eggs that don’t fertilise because of a defective PLCz, as in some forms of male infertility, can be treated with the active protein to produce egg activation.
The added PLCz kick-starts the fertilisation process and significantly improves the chance of a successful pregnancy.
“We know that some men are infertile because their sperm fail to activate eggs. Even though their sperm fuses with the egg, nothing happens. These sperm may lack a proper functioning version of PLCz, which is essential to trigger the next stage in becoming pregnant,” Professor Tony Lai, who led the study with Professor Karl Swann, said.
“What’s important from our research is that we have used human sperm PLCz to obtain the positive results that we had previously observed only in experiments with mice.
“In the lab we have been able to prepare human PLCz protein that is active. If this protein is inactive or missing from sperm, it fails to trigger the process necessary for egg activation - the next crucial stage of embryo development.
“However, when an unfertilised egg is injected with human PLCz, it responds exactly as it should do at fertilisation, resulting in successful embryo development to the blastocyst stage, vital to pregnancy success,” he added.
The study has been published online by the journal Fertility and Sterility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America