Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
New Delhi: Most of us have come across this common nighttime habit - sleepless night - at one point or another in our lives. But, when it becomes too often, it can take a toll on your health.
Insomnia is a sleep disorder making a person difficult to fall asleep or stay asleep as long as desired. Symptoms may vary from having difficulty falling asleep at night or awakening during the night or too early to not feeling well rested after a night's sleep.
But, you can beat this common sleep problem with some basic tips and DIY home remedies. Here's how:
- Set a regular bedtime and wake time (avoid going to bed if you're wide awake)
- Stay active by exercising regularly, but not in the last 2 hours before going to bed.
- Avoid or limit using alcohol in the evening, also caffeine for at least 8 hours before bedtime.
- Do not smoke as nicotine is a stimulant.
- Avoid eating too late as well as heavy meals before bed to reduce the chance of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and improve sleep.
- Drink less before bedtime to avoid frequent urination at night.
- Take TV, computers, video games, smartphones or other screens out of your bedroom. Use your bedroom only for sleeping or sex.
- Avoid emotional upset or stressful situations before going to bed.
- Avoid trying too hard to sleep, but get out of bed if you can't sleep and do something relaxing such as reading a book.
- Call on herbs for help - consider taking dried passionflower capsules (passionflower is widely used as a mild herbal sedative).