11 things not to do with email revealed
Washington: Our email is the simplest and most common vulnerable thing to spying eyes.
Adam Levin, founder of Credit.com and Identity Theft 911, has given 11 steps not to do with e-mail and doing which will make us vulnerable to cyber thieves, ABC News reported.
Firstly, he said that a person should never check their e-mail on an unsafe network, as a computer in an Internet cafe, library or any other business may be infected with malware to steal your passwords.
Secondly, people should log off from their e-mails as soon as their work is over, as by staying signed up a hacker can gain immediate access.
Thirdly, Levin said that email login name and password should not be repeated.
Fourthly, another problem is that people do not delete their old-emails properly, which could contain addresses, account usernames and passwords, contact information for all your pals, financial data and may other sensitive information.
Fifthly, if an email comes to you that promises a loan or credit card that is worth a guaranteed amount of money at a low interest rate, beware that it is a scam, as nobody will give you credit without checking your credit report.
Sixthly, people should not click on seemingly ambiguous emails from their pals, as they could be vectors of attack. Cyber criminals often pose as pals stuck penniless in Europe or Asia and in need of an immediate wire transfer.
Seventhly, if you get a mail from your bank or credit card company asking to verify your account information beware that it can be from cyber criminals, as an institute that handles important things like money or packages, don`t use email for communication, and definitely not to confirm personal information.
Eighthly, many scams involve sending money to people that you have never met for e.g there is the "Wall Street insider" with the hot investment tip or the foreign company, which needs you to cash a check or process transactions. Beware.
Ninthly, people should not fall for the trick that makes them think that their credit card has been stolen.
Tenthly, after Hurricane Sandy and the giant tornado in Oklahoma, cyber criminals sent emails requesting donations for relief efforts.
Lastly, do not click on emails that show too good to be true travel deals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’