Heavy internet users can have withdrawal symptoms like drug abusers
London: Using the internet for long periods of time can cause withdrawal symptoms similar to the `comedown` experienced by drug users, scientists have warned.
Researchers found that spending excessive periods of time surfing the internet left people in `negative moods` and, like drug addicts, when heavy internet users go back on the web their negative moods lift, the Daily Mail reported.
Our results show that around half of the young people we studied spend so much time on the net that it has negative consequences for the rest of their lives, said Professor Phil Reed, from the university`s psychology department.
The study, published in the international journal Plus One, was carried out on 60 volunteers with an average age of 25 at Swansea University`s College of Human and Health Sciences.
The researchers first gave volunteers a series of psychological tests to find out their level of addiction to the internet, their mood, their anxiety level and whether they were depressed.
They were told to browse the internet for 15 minutes, then they were tested again for mood and levels of anxiety.
Using the internet had a `striking` impact on the positive mood of those who were addicted to the web, and their comedown was far more pronounced than those who used it less often, the research noted.
And these withdrawal symptoms may promote a vicious cycle.
"The immediate negative impact of exposure to the internet on the mood of internet addicts may contribute to increased usage by those individuals attempting to reduce their low mood by re-engaging rapidly in internet use," the study said.
The negative impact of excessive internet use can be seen across a wide range of aspects of the addict`s life. Internet addiction was associated with long-standing depression, impulsive non-conformity, and autism traits, it concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah