Heavy internet users can have withdrawal symptoms like drug abusers
London: Using the internet for long periods of time can cause withdrawal symptoms similar to the `comedown` experienced by drug users, scientists have warned.
Researchers found that spending excessive periods of time surfing the internet left people in `negative moods` and, like drug addicts, when heavy internet users go back on the web their negative moods lift, the Daily Mail reported.
Our results show that around half of the young people we studied spend so much time on the net that it has negative consequences for the rest of their lives, said Professor Phil Reed, from the university`s psychology department.
The study, published in the international journal Plus One, was carried out on 60 volunteers with an average age of 25 at Swansea University`s College of Human and Health Sciences.
The researchers first gave volunteers a series of psychological tests to find out their level of addiction to the internet, their mood, their anxiety level and whether they were depressed.
They were told to browse the internet for 15 minutes, then they were tested again for mood and levels of anxiety.
Using the internet had a `striking` impact on the positive mood of those who were addicted to the web, and their comedown was far more pronounced than those who used it less often, the research noted.
And these withdrawal symptoms may promote a vicious cycle.
"The immediate negative impact of exposure to the internet on the mood of internet addicts may contribute to increased usage by those individuals attempting to reduce their low mood by re-engaging rapidly in internet use," the study said.
The negative impact of excessive internet use can be seen across a wide range of aspects of the addict`s life. Internet addiction was associated with long-standing depression, impulsive non-conformity, and autism traits, it concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan