Monsoon hits Punjab, Haryana
Chandigarh: Monsoon rains on Saturday lashed Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh, causing mercury to drop by between two to seven degrees.
Chandigarh was drenched by 118.5 mm rains, providing the much-needed respite to people from hot and humid conditions prevailing in the region for the past six weeks.
In Punjab, Ludhiana received 51 mm downpours, Madhopur 67 mm, Pathankot 52 mm and Phagwara 44 mm.
Ropar and Jalandhar were also lashed by heavy rains.
In Haryana, Panchkula registered 55 mm rainfall, Kalka 40 mm, Narnaul 36 mm, Ambala 64.2 mm and Rohtak 12.2 mm.
The rains brought smiles on the faces of farmers as it will boost and benefit paddy transplantation. It is also expected to ease the power situation as hot weather had fuelled high demand leading to heavy load shedding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred