Monsoon hits Punjab, Haryana
Chandigarh: Monsoon rains on Saturday lashed Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh, causing mercury to drop by between two to seven degrees.
Chandigarh was drenched by 118.5 mm rains, providing the much-needed respite to people from hot and humid conditions prevailing in the region for the past six weeks.
In Punjab, Ludhiana received 51 mm downpours, Madhopur 67 mm, Pathankot 52 mm and Phagwara 44 mm.
Ropar and Jalandhar were also lashed by heavy rains.
In Haryana, Panchkula registered 55 mm rainfall, Kalka 40 mm, Narnaul 36 mm, Ambala 64.2 mm and Rohtak 12.2 mm.
The rains brought smiles on the faces of farmers as it will boost and benefit paddy transplantation. It is also expected to ease the power situation as hot weather had fuelled high demand leading to heavy load shedding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?