Everest was born after Asia was squeezed like toothpaste
Washington: Researchers have claimed that Mt. Everest was born after Asia was squeezed like a tube of toothpaste.
The researchers have said that when India collided into the rest of Asia it led to the formation of the Himalayas, which is the host to many of the world`s 100 highest peaks, including Everest, New Scientist reported.
Louis Moresi of the University of Melbourne, Australia, and his team built a computer model which helped explain the happenings after the collision of continents.
The computer model showed that when one continent bearing thick or buoyant crust blocks subduction, the other gets squeezed and folds around the blockage, and in the process creates a complex array of geophysical features.
The researchers then tested the model on Himalayas . Their model suggests that as India collides with Eurasia, China and South-East Asia initially resist being pushed down, and then gets pushed aside instead, which leads to the unclogging of the subduction zone that allows India to keep pushing into Eurasia and creating Mt. Everest.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan