Britain tops EU asylum seekers` list
London: Britain granted asylum to more people than any other European Union (EU) country last year, official figures show.
Some 14,360 immigrants were given asylum within the UK in 2011, compared with 13,045 in Germany, the second highest country, and 10,740 in third placed France.
The figure was the third successive rise in successful claims in Britain and an increase of 41 percent since 2008, Daily Mail reported on Friday.
Britain also approved more than a third of asylum applications last year, while France accepted fewer than one in seven claims and Germany around one in five.
Refugees fleeing Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s repressive regime in Iran made up the largest group granted asylum in Britain, with 1,985 given protection status in 2011.
Another 1,160 came from Sri Lanka and around 1,020 from Afghanistan, the figures from Eurostat, the statistical wing of the EU, revealed.
The number of people granted asylum in Britain has grown steadily in the last four years, from 10,200 in 2008 to 14,360 last year, the newspaper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Virender Sehwag fulfills Sakshi Malik's desire to meet him; this tweet tells how GLAD he is
- Asked to remove pugree at US embassy, BJP MP refuses to take visa
- Pink Ball Test: Jury still out on sighting, no reverse swing for pacers or turn for spinners
- RCom-Aircel expected to sign merger deal by Sept 1st week
- Mehbooba flies to Delhi as one more killed in Kashmir violence; toll rises to 70