Britain tops EU asylum seekers` list
London: Britain granted asylum to more people than any other European Union (EU) country last year, official figures show.
Some 14,360 immigrants were given asylum within the UK in 2011, compared with 13,045 in Germany, the second highest country, and 10,740 in third placed France.
The figure was the third successive rise in successful claims in Britain and an increase of 41 percent since 2008, Daily Mail reported on Friday.
Britain also approved more than a third of asylum applications last year, while France accepted fewer than one in seven claims and Germany around one in five.
Refugees fleeing Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s repressive regime in Iran made up the largest group granted asylum in Britain, with 1,985 given protection status in 2011.
Another 1,160 came from Sri Lanka and around 1,020 from Afghanistan, the figures from Eurostat, the statistical wing of the EU, revealed.
The number of people granted asylum in Britain has grown steadily in the last four years, from 10,200 in 2008 to 14,360 last year, the newspaper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- 'Jurassic World 2' to begin production in Hawaii next year
- Liam Payne will reunite with One Direction, says his sister
- Orlando Bloom 'happy' for Miranda Kerr
- Planning to visit Africa? Check out these top 5 places for sure
- Whoa! Deepika Padukone meets Ranbir Kapoor, Fawad Khan on 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' sets?