Britain tops EU asylum seekers` list
London: Britain granted asylum to more people than any other European Union (EU) country last year, official figures show.
Some 14,360 immigrants were given asylum within the UK in 2011, compared with 13,045 in Germany, the second highest country, and 10,740 in third placed France.
The figure was the third successive rise in successful claims in Britain and an increase of 41 percent since 2008, Daily Mail reported on Friday.
Britain also approved more than a third of asylum applications last year, while France accepted fewer than one in seven claims and Germany around one in five.
Refugees fleeing Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s repressive regime in Iran made up the largest group granted asylum in Britain, with 1,985 given protection status in 2011.
Another 1,160 came from Sri Lanka and around 1,020 from Afghanistan, the figures from Eurostat, the statistical wing of the EU, revealed.
The number of people granted asylum in Britain has grown steadily in the last four years, from 10,200 in 2008 to 14,360 last year, the newspaper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre