Nine gunmen die in shootouts with Mexican Army
Morelia: One of the masterminds
behind an arson attack on a casino that killed 52 people last
year was killed in a gunbattle with soldiers.
Suspect Franisco Medina Mejia was among the four gunmen
killed during the confrontation on a highway near the border
city of Nuevo Laredo, across from Laredo, Texas, the Defense
Department said in a statement.
The army said the dead suspects had eight rifles and a
grenade launcher. One of the bodies had old burn wounds and
one of the rifles was engraved with the words "El Quemado," or
"The Burned One," Medina Mejia`s nickname.
He was allegedly a top aide to Zetas leader Miguel Angel
Trevino, and also allegedly killed Manuel Farfan, a retired
general who served as the police chief of Nuevo Laredo in
The arson attack on the casino was allegedly the work of
the Zetas drug cartel. On August 25, gunmen stormed into the
casino building, spread gasoline and set the building on fire,
trapping and asphyxiating dozens of people.
Other suspects arrested previously and accused of
ordering or carrying out the attack have said the cartel
targeted the casino because its owners hadn`t paid extortion
money, a theory officials confirm. At least one of the
casino`s owners has denied the claim to reporters.
Also yesterday, prosecutors in the western Mexico state
of Michoacan said a total of nine gunmen have died in two
confrontations with the Mexican Army.
Five male suspects died in a shootout yesterday after
they opened fire on a military patrol outside an old hacienda
in the township of Churintzio.
Two assault rifles, pistols and other weapons were found
near the suspects` bodies.
Four other men were killed in a sport utility vehicle
late Tuesday. Three of the suspects had been carrying assault
Michoacan is home to the Knights Templar drug cartel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe