North Korea fires two more short-range missiles
Seoul: North Korea on Monday fired two more short-range missiles, a day after UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon urged the regime to return to talks on its controversial nuclear programme.
"North Korea fired one KN-02 short-range missile between 11 am and 12 noon and a second one between 4 pm and 5 pm on Monday. The second missile is the same type as the KN-02 short-range missile launched on Monday morning," South Korea`s Yonhap news agency quoted military officials from Seoul as saying.
North Korea has fired a total of six short-range missiles in the same waters.
South Korea`s presidential office urged North Korea to stop aggravating tensions on the Korean Peninsula after Pyongyang launched its fifth missile on the third day.
Pyongyang, however, said on Monday that the missile launch was only part of normal military training for self-defence purposes, the official KCNA news agency reported.
On Sunday, Ban Ki-moon said he was concerned over Pyongyang`s latest missile launches and urged the regime to return to the talks on its controversial nuclear programme.
Yonhap said Pyongyang launched a short-range missile into the East Sea on Sunday, a day after firing three missiles into the same body of water.
The communist regime broke off talks with South Korea, China, the US, Japan and Russia on its nuclear programme in 2009, after the UN Security Council passed a resolution condemning its missile tests.
Tensions rose on the Korean Peninsula in December after North Korea tested a Taepodong 2 missile and again in February when it carried out its third nuclear test.
The UN hit back with sanctions, and the start of joint military drills between South Korea and the US in March further irritated the North, which threatened to carry out a nuclear attack on the US mainland, as well as on US forces in the region.
North Korea has been subjected to several rounds of UN Security Council sanctions since it declared itself a nuclear power in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM