Obama returns to Hawaii for vacation after fiscal cliff vote
Washington: With the fiscal cliff deal done, US President Obama Wednesday returned to Hawaii to resume his traditional end-of-the-year vacation with his family.
Obama boarded Air Force One about 30 minutes after White House remarks applauding the House of Representatives vote to avert a series of tax hikes and budget cuts known as the fiscal cliff, USA Today reported.
The plan approved today maintains tax cuts for individuals earning less than USD 400,000 per year and couples earning less than USD 450,000.
It will raise tax rates for those who make more, marking the first time in two decades the rates jump for the wealthiest Americans.
"Happy New Year everybody,"` Obama told reporters.
Obama and his family began their traditional end-of- the-year vacation on December 21. But the president returned to the White House on December 27 to tend to the fiscal cliff debate. His family stayed back in Hawaii.
Obama is scheduled to return to Washington over the weekend, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video