Obama returns to Hawaii for vacation after fiscal cliff vote
Washington: With the fiscal cliff deal done, US President Obama Wednesday returned to Hawaii to resume his traditional end-of-the-year vacation with his family.
Obama boarded Air Force One about 30 minutes after White House remarks applauding the House of Representatives vote to avert a series of tax hikes and budget cuts known as the fiscal cliff, USA Today reported.
The plan approved today maintains tax cuts for individuals earning less than USD 400,000 per year and couples earning less than USD 450,000.
It will raise tax rates for those who make more, marking the first time in two decades the rates jump for the wealthiest Americans.
"Happy New Year everybody,"` Obama told reporters.
Obama and his family began their traditional end-of- the-year vacation on December 21. But the president returned to the White House on December 27 to tend to the fiscal cliff debate. His family stayed back in Hawaii.
Obama is scheduled to return to Washington over the weekend, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry