Obama returns to Hawaii for vacation after fiscal cliff vote
Washington: With the fiscal cliff deal done, US President Obama Wednesday returned to Hawaii to resume his traditional end-of-the-year vacation with his family.
Obama boarded Air Force One about 30 minutes after White House remarks applauding the House of Representatives vote to avert a series of tax hikes and budget cuts known as the fiscal cliff, USA Today reported.
The plan approved today maintains tax cuts for individuals earning less than USD 400,000 per year and couples earning less than USD 450,000.
It will raise tax rates for those who make more, marking the first time in two decades the rates jump for the wealthiest Americans.
"Happy New Year everybody,"` Obama told reporters.
Obama and his family began their traditional end-of- the-year vacation on December 21. But the president returned to the White House on December 27 to tend to the fiscal cliff debate. His family stayed back in Hawaii.
Obama is scheduled to return to Washington over the weekend, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town