Rising India is ameliorating influence on China: US
Washington: The US has said a rising India is going to be an ameliorating influence on China as there will be areas of both collaboration and competition between the two Asian giants to work on.
"A rising India is in some ways going to be an ameliorating influence on China and China`s own growth and in China`s own behavior in the region," Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asia, Nisha Desai Biswal said.
There are going to be areas between India and China of economic collaboration and competition. We want to see an India that is able to thrive and rise and want to see all the economies of Asia to grow in a sustainable way that mitigates against the areas of conflict, she said.
"With respect to the India-China relationship that there will be areas where the United States and India will have great complementarity and collaboration. There will be areas where the US and China will be working together and there`ll be areas where India and China will be working together," she said.
As India looks east and the US pursues its strategic rebalance, there`s a real strategic convergence there as the two countries are looking to the challenges and opportunities in East Asia today, of which a rising China is certainly a major part, Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for South and Southeast Asia Amy Searight said.
Noting that India has integrated itself into the ASEAN-led international regional architecture, Searight said, "we are beginning to cooperate much more with India on the kind of work that we do in the ASEAN-based organizations".
She said there were a lot of tensions in the maritime domain in the region right now and those are the areas where I there are concerns on India`s part.
"There are concerns on many of the ASEAN nations` part and those are the discussions we`re having in those frameworks and having separately with India," she added.
Vikram Singh, vice president National Security and International Policy Center for American Progress, said Prime Minister Narendra Modi has shown that he wants to have good relations with China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened