S Korea exports submarines to Indonesia
Seoul: A South Korean shipbuilder said on Wednesday
it had signed the country`s largest-ever weapons export deal,
worth USD 1.1 billion, to sell three submarines to Indonesia.
It also marked the first time that South Korea has grabbed
a deal to sell submarines abroad, Daewoo Shipbuilding and
Marine Engineering said in a press statement.
Under the contract, Daewoo will deliver the three
submarines, each weighing 1,400 tons, to Jakarta by the first
half of 2018.
Each of the submarines can carry 40 personnel and will be
equipped with eight weapons tubes to fire torpedoes and guided
The deal brings the volume of South Korea`s defence
exports this year to an all-time record USD 2.4 billion, more
than double the amount from a year ago, the state-run Defence
Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA) said.
It is the second major defence deal between the two
In May, the South`s state-run Korea Aerospace
Industries (KAI) agreed to export 16 supersonic T-50 Golden
Eagle trainer jets worth USD 400 million to Jakarta.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...