Scotland issue: Britain works, why break it? says David Cameron
London: Making a strong pitch for retaining Scotland as a part of the United Kingdom, Prime Minister David Cameron on Sunday said that Scotland is better off in Britain.
Urging people to be well informed before they made a decision in the vote on Scotland independence due next year, British PM said that the government would tomorrow publish an expert based analysis detailing on Scotland’s role in the UK.
“We’ll be providing expert-based analysis to explain Scotland’s place within the UK and how it might change with separation.. We don’t shy away from putting facts and evidence before the Scottish people. We want you to scrutinize, challenge and form your own opinion”, wrote Cameron on British govt website named the No 10 website.
Reasoning that both “share a proud and emotional history”, Cameron sought to touch an emotional chord when he said that people of both the islands shared a deep, unbreakable bond and the matter was about head as well as heart.
Though ceding that Scotland could be an independent nation, Cameron questioned what was the need to break the Union when Britain worked well with Scotland as its part.
“The real question is whether it should – whether Scotland is stronger, safer, richer and fairer within our United Kingdom or outside it,” said Cameron.
The British PM also asserted that why people should be forced to choose between Scotland and Britain, when they were being offered “the best of both worlds” while in UK.
“Why swap Scottish MPs, Scottish Cabinet Ministers and Scots throughout UK institutions, for one Scottish Ambassador in London?” said Cameron.
The main political parties of London including the ruling Conservative Party is pitching strongly to avoid the separation of Scotland, but Alex Salmond’s Scottish National Party will leave no stone unturned to ensure an independent Scotland when there is a referendum next year.
Cameron had last year signed a deal with the leader of Scotland`s separatist administration on a referendum that could break up the United Kingdom.
Both sides claim they are confident of victory in the vote that will decide the constitutional future of the United Kingdom.
If Scotland does break away it will end more than 300 years of political union with England.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi