Syrian refugees in Turkey exceed 200,000
Ankara: The number of Syrians fleeing clashes in their country and residing in Turkey has exceeded 200, 000, an official of the Syrian National Council`s Executive Committee said Saturday.
"I guess the number of Syrians staying in Turkey have reached almost 250,000, including the ones who entered Turkey by their passports," Mahmud Osman, a member of Syrian National Council`s Executive Committee, told Xinhua, adding that the figure was not official.
A total of 144,755 Syrian refugees are currently staying in Turkey after fleeing the months-long violence in their country, a Turkish official statement said Friday.
The statement, issued by the Turkish Prime Ministry Disaster and Emergency Management Directorate (AFAD), said more than 200, 000 Syrians fled to Turkey so far, but 59,100 of them returned back.
Turkey has set up five tent cities in Hatay, two in Sanliurfa, three in Gaziantep and one each in Osmaniye, Kahramanmaras and Adiyaman and one container city in Kilis.
As Turkey keeps up open door policy for thousands of Syrians fleeing from violence in their country, Ankara has called on international community for assistance when the number of Syrians sheltered in Turkey exceeded 100,000.
Turkish representative of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Carol Batchelor said Friday that they could only finance 500 million US dollars for a plan of helping Syrian refugees, Turkey``s semi-official Anatolia news agency reported.
The Syria Regional Response Plan, prepared by the UNHCR, sets out the funding needs for 1 billion US dollars. So far, about half of the sum has not been procured, raising concerns over the Syrian refugees`` conditions in the winter.
Batchelor said that the issue was being discussed in the UN Security Council, with no official decision made yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title