Taiwan, Thai TV stations sorry for Thatcher photo gaffes
Taipei: A Taiwanese cable news channel apologised Tuesday for running a photo of Queen Elizabeth II when reporting the death of Margaret Thatcher, while a Thai station showed a photo of actress Meryl Streep.
Taiwan`s CTI TV, in footage Monday night, showed the queen dressed in a green coat and waving at the crowd with a caption reading "Former British prime minister Thatcher passed away, the Iron Lady is missed".
In Thailand, army-run Channel 5 TV station also apologised after it showed a photo of Streep playing Thatcher in the 2011 semi-biographical film "The Iron Lady" during its report on the death of the former premier.
"We apologise for the mistake over the use of the photo during the report on Margaret Thatcher which caused misunderstanding. Our team will try harder and be more careful," it wrote on its official Facebook page.
A source at the channel said the job of finding the picture had been outsourced to another company.
"The news anchor noticed the mistake and solved the problem by saying her story was made into a Hollywood movie played by Meryl Streep," he said.
Thatcher, dubbed the "Iron Lady," died of a stroke on Monday in London aged 87.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- From Kanpur to Varanasi in 10 days: 11-year-old Shraddha Shukla attempts 550 km swim in raging Ganga
- Doha airport brings in passenger tax
- Jason Gillespie to leave Yorkshire at end of season
- Myanmar holds unique position in India's neighbourhood, says PM Narendra Modi
- Bangladesh's Tamim Iqbal out for a month with fractured finger, to miss ODI series vs Afghanistan