Talks only if US stops hostile policy: North Korea
Pyongyang: Negotiations with the US would be possible only when Washington stops its hostile policy and nuclear threat against the Democratic People`s Republic of Korea (DPRK/North Korea), its foreign ministry said on Tuesday.
"The DPRK is not opposed to dialogue but has no idea of sitting at the humiliating negotiating table with the party brandishing a nuclear stick," an unnamed ministry spokesman was quoted by the official KCNA as saying, reported Xinhua.
"Worse still, the US claim that it will opt for dialogue when the DPRK shows its will for denuclearization first is a very impudent hostile act of disregarding the line of the Workers` Party of Korea and the law of the DPRK," the spokesman said, adding that dialogue should be based on the principle of respecting sovereignty and equality.
The spokesman also accused the US of "staging ceaseless DPRK-targeted nuclear war drills.
"The DPRK will escalate its military countermeasures for self-defense unless the US ceases its nuclear war drills and withdraws all its war hardware for aggression," he said.
The spokesman`s remarks came after U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, who just concluded a three-nation tour in Asia, expressed Washington`s willingness to negotiate with Pyongyang.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof