Turkey charges 14 al Qaeda suspects: Report

Last Updated: Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 09:40

Ankara: A Turkish court has charged 14 suspected al Qaeda militants accused of planning to attack the US embassy in Ankara and ordered them jailed pending trial, Anatolia news agency said.


Another suspect was released after questioning but may still face trial, the agency reported, without providing details of the charges.


Prosecutors are now to draw up an indictment before the trial can start.

The suspects were rounded up earlier this week in Ankara and the northwestern cities of Bursa and Yalova.


Anti-terror police launched the operation on suspicion that they were planning attacks on foreign missions, including the US embassy in Ankara, Anatolia reported earlier this week.


The security forces detained the main suspect, identified only as CI, after a six-month surveillance operations, said the report.

They moved in after having established that he had been trained in bomb-making in a foreign country and was in contact with a Turkish Al-Qaeda militant based abroad.


The search at his house in an Ankara suburb recovered about 700 kilograms of chemicals used or bomb-making, together with two rifles and bullets, Anatolia reported.


Turkish police have regularly targeted suspected Al-Qaeda supporters since two sets of twin suicide bombings hit the country`s biggest city Istanbul, five days apart, in November 2003.


PTI



First Published: Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 09:22

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus