Turkey charges 14 al Qaeda suspects: Report
Ankara: A Turkish court has charged 14 suspected al Qaeda militants accused of planning to attack the US embassy in Ankara and ordered them jailed pending trial, Anatolia news agency said.
Another suspect was released after questioning but may still face trial, the agency reported, without providing details of the charges.
Prosecutors are now to draw up an indictment before the trial can start.
The suspects were rounded up earlier this week in Ankara and the northwestern cities of Bursa and Yalova.
Anti-terror police launched the operation on suspicion that they were planning attacks on foreign missions, including the US embassy in Ankara, Anatolia reported earlier this week.
The security forces detained the main suspect, identified only as CI, after a six-month surveillance operations, said the report.
They moved in after having established that he had been trained in bomb-making in a foreign country and was in contact with a Turkish Al-Qaeda militant based abroad.
The search at his house in an Ankara suburb recovered about 700 kilograms of chemicals used or bomb-making, together with two rifles and bullets, Anatolia reported.
Turkish police have regularly targeted suspected Al-Qaeda supporters since two sets of twin suicide bombings hit the country`s biggest city Istanbul, five days apart, in November 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried