Being thin is what ages us most
London: For women who think being slim makes you look younger, a new study has found that people over 40 look younger if they have fatter face.
During the study, the researchers compared 186 pairs of identical twins and found that shedding pounds could age a woman by an average of four years. Lead researcher Dr Bahaman Guyuron says: "The perceived age of an individual is usually attributed to both genetics and environment in various degrees."
Since the twins` genetic make-up was identical, the differences in how old they looked could be attributed solely to external factors and lifestyle. To reach that conclusion, researchers calculated the body mass index (BMI) of each twin. An ideal BMI for an adult is between 18.5 and 25. Anyone with a BMI lower than 18.5 is classed as underweight.
"A BMI higher by four points was found to result in a younger appearance of between two to four years in women over 40 years old," a newspaper quoted Guyuron as saying.
"The more fat that is preserved in the face, particularly the cheeks, the more you will preserve the facial proportions of youth," said Rajiv Grover, Consultant Plastic Surgeon and Secretary of the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. "Excessive dieting will give a woman a gaunt appearance by leading to volume loss in the midface (cheeks).
"This volume loss can be compounded by yo-yo dieting, where not only do you create volume loss, but also stretching of the facial supporting ligaments due to repeated facial volume gain and volume loss, which causes deeper nose to mouth lines and jowls," he added.
Other factors that had an effect on ageing were divorce, smoking, drinking and sunbathing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened