Dieting `can raise risk of cancer, diabetes`
London: If you think that dieting can help you stay fit, think again, for a new study says that it may raise your risk of developing cancer, diabetes and other fatal diseases by releasing toxins into the body.
An international team, led by researchers from the US, Norway and South Korea, has found that weight loss allows harmful pollutants, normally stored in body fat, to circulate
in the bloodstream.
"Weight loss could be harmful if it leads to the release of toxins from fat tissue and increases the concentration of persistent organic pollutants.
"It means they can reach critical organs through the circulation," Dr Duk-Hee Lee of Kyungpook National University in South Korea, who led the team, was quoted by the `Sunday Express` as saying.
For the study, the researchers analysed 1,099 people over 40, tracking their weight for 10 years, with frequent blood tests for seven of the most dangerous pollutants.
These included DDE, a pesticide linked with breast cancer, Alzheimer`s and Parkinson`s diseases, and PCB169, a toxin linked with damage to the brain and nervous system. They
found higher blood levels of these chemicals in people who had lost weight.
The study, published in the `International Journal of Obesity` calls for urgent further research into POPs, man-made chemicals that can be absorbed into the body over many years.
They have been used in everything from pesticides to electrical goods for more than 50 years but most people come into contact with them from tiny amounts in food, especially
They are stored in fatty tissue where they are believed to cause little harm, but once in the blood, they may increase the risk of cancer, heart disease, diabetes and
damage to the immune system.
Another study in the Netherlands earlier this year showed weight loss can raise risks of heart disease, diabetes and cancer by increasing body`s production of stress hormones.
Professor Janna Koppe, of Amsterdam University, found babies exposed to high levels of similar chemicals through their mother`s blood and breast milk may be prone to diabetes as teenagers.
She said: "I`d warn pregnant women not to lose weight. I would also advise overweight people to lose weight slowly. This is a balancing act -- being overweight is a risk but so
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'