Scientists track mercury poisoning risk from diets
Washington: Mercury in diets could whittle down the power of antioxidants and cause serious threats to health by accumulating in the body, aver scientists.
Antioxidants, playing a critical role in protecting cells, could also -- if they are not functioning properly -- damage them or cause their deaths.
This damage, known as oxidative stress, is tied with Alzheimer`s, Parkinson`s disease and diabetes, the journal Environmental Research Letters reports.
As such, antioxidants are widely used in dietary supplements and have been investigated in the prevention of cancer and cardiovascular disease, according to a University of Alaska statement.
University of Alaska Fairbanks researchers analysed groups of 12 huskies, a working dog breed, in four villages each with similar lineage, sex and age and in their peak racing years.
These huskies are exposed to the same environmental hazards as humans, sharing similar responses to ageing, immune function, toxicology and cognitive disorders.
Fairbanks professor Kriya Dunlap, who led the study, said: "The amounts of mercury in the salmon (fish species) are well below Environmental Protection Agency limits and the health benefits compared to processed food are still quite significant.
"However, the fact that health indices may be impaired by mercury levels indicates that monitoring should continue and that mercury generation should be monitored."
Data taken from the huskies` diet, comprising flesh and fish, showed that as their mercury exposure increased, their antioxidant status decreased.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Bihar class 10th result 2016 declared; check Bihar Board Matric class 10 Results 2016 on biharboard.bih.nic.in
- Love is blind, like literally! Riteish Deshmukh's 'Housefull 3' proves it - Pic Inside
- Dance with the devil: What Manchester United under Jose Mourinho might be like
- Like seriously! Sohail Khan to replace Mika Singh on 'Comedy Nights Live'?
- Meet Facebook's North Korean cousin!