121 rescued from Haiti debris since quake: UN
Geneva: The United Nations said on Wednesday that
121 people had been rescued by international teams from the
debris of collapsed buildings in Haiti since the January 12
"We are at 121 people found," Elisabeth Byrs, a
spokeswoman for the UN`s Organisation for the Coordination of
Humanitarian Affairs, told AFP, describing it as a "miracle."
On Tuesday, the UN said 90 people had been extracted
alive, compared to 70 on Saturday.
It was not immediately clear when the 31 extra survivors
were pulled out. Experts said the chances of survival were
greatly diminished three days after an earthquake.
Byrs said a second international relief operations centre
was set up in the capital of the neighbouring Dominican
Republic, Santo Domingo, alongside the one in Haiti`s capital
Three airports, as well as ports, in the Dominican
Republic were being used for international aid deliveries, she
added, to relieve bottlenecks that had stifled the relief
effort over the past week.
Aid group Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF - Doctors Without
Borders) said yesterday that one of its planes carrying vital
medical equipment to Haiti`s quake victims had repeatedly been
prevented from landing at Port-au-Prince.
Three-week-old baby found alive in Haiti rubble
Rescuers pulled a three-week-old baby
girl alive from the rubble of a house more than a week after
it was destroyed in Haiti`s devastating earthquake, French
radio reported today.
French rescuers found the girl in a hollow beneath the
ruins of the house in Jacmel, a town in the south of the
island, after spending five hours trying the get through to
her, France Inter station said.
The baby`s uncle told the station that the girl, named
Elisabeth, was 23 days old. The station reported she was in
healthy condition and did not appear wounded and had been
taken to an American field hospital nearby.
The United Nations said today that 121 people had been
rescued by international teams from the debris of collapsed
buildings in Haiti since the January 12 earthquake.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city