S Korean President wants strong response to N Korea
Seoul: South Korean President Lee Myung-bak stressed on Monday the need to bolster military readiness and sternly respond to North Korea over the deadly sinking of a warship, or risk more such provocations.
South Korea has taken a slew of punitive measures against North Korea, including resuming propaganda operations, after blaming Pyongyang for torpedoing the South Korean warship Cheonan in March. Forty-six South Korean sailors died.
North Korea flatly denies the allegation and has warned any retaliation would trigger war. The country`s military said on Saturday it would launch an all-out strike against any propaganda facilities South Korea used at the border and could even turn Seoul into "a sea of flame”. The North has made similar threats in the past.
Today, South Korean President Lee Myung-bak renewed calls for a strong response.
"If we fail to sternly respond to North Korea`s wrongdoing in cooperation with the international community and build up solid military readiness, a second and third provocation like the Cheonan incident can occur anytime," he said in a nationally-televised speech.
Lee also said he would revamp and strengthen South Korea`s military and hold some officers responsible for the sinking.
Lee didn`t name any top officers but his comments came a day after his top military officer offered to retire amid criticism over alleged negligence ahead of the sinking. The Cheonan attack occurred along the disputed sea border, where three bloody sea battles have been fought.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate