Preventive steps can control non-communicable diseases: WHO
New Delhi: Many young people are succumbing to non-communicable diseases in south-east Asia and the best way to control it is to take preventive steps like reducing salt intake and raising taxes on tobacco, the WHO said Monday.
Non-communicable diseases (NCDs), such as cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, cancers, and chronic respiratory diseases, are the world's most common, causing two out of every three deaths globally.
NCDs kill 8.5 million people annually in south-east Asian regions. Of these, 4.2 million deaths are considered premature.
In order to achieve the targets, the World Health Organisation (WHO) emphasized the importance of implementing evidence-based, cost-effective interventions - the "Best Buys" - to prevent and control NCDs.
"Some examples of 'Best Buy' interventions for the prevention and control of NCDs include raising tax on tobacco and alcohol products, reducing salt consumption, eliminating trans-fat in the food supply chain, promoting physical activity and detecting and treating NCDs at an early stage," said Poonam Khetrapal Singh, regional director for WHO south-east Asia.
"Wide-scale implementation of these 'Best Buys' requires coordinated action. Ministries of health and non-health ministries - such as finance, transport, sports, education, agriculture, and food safety, among others - must work together. This requires the highest level of political commitment, resolve and response," said Khetrapal Singh.
The WHO is supporting countries to adopt the "whole-of-government" and "whole-of-society" approaches to combat NCDs, because working together is our "best buy" for a healthier future, she said in a statement.
The WHO is highlighting this pressing need to forge and strengthen multi-sectoral partnerships to curb the rising burden of NCDs by bringing together policy makers and health experts from 11 member states of the south Asia at a regional consultation in Bangalore Aug 18-20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly