Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
New Delhi: Most of us, if not all, have experienced mixed feelings of happiness and sadness, occuring in a span of few seconds - mood swings!
Mood swings occur when you can go from happy to extremely sad in a moment without any reason or anything that triggers it. It can happen any time at any place.
Most of us encounter mood swings in response to the events that happen in our lives, however, many people have a tendency to experience them more than others, which becomes problematic.
The causes of mood swings are unknown, but it is believed that your hormones and neurotransmitters are to blame. Other factors that may trigger mood swings include diseases/disorders which interfere with nervous system function, stress and anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, lack of sleep, unhealthy diet or lifestyle, drug abuse.
Unfortunately, there's no such easy pill or magic trick that can cure the oscillation of feelings. However, here are a few lifestyle tips and hacks you can try to manage or deal with mood swings:
- Avoid or limit alcohol and caffeine intake as they can interfere with your sleep, thereby influencing your mood.
- Get enough sleep, at least 7-8 hours while maintaining a regular bed time and wake time each day.
- Exercise regularly. When you exercise, your body releases chemicals endorphins, designed to reduce stress and enhance pleasure.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet - at least five portions of a variety of fruit and vegetables each day, complex carbs with a protein at each meal.
- Avoid overgeneralizing negative outcomes as it may lead you into a bad mood.
- If you feel that you're upset suddenly, promptly stop what you're doing and try to gather your thoughts and understand why you are unhappy and whether you should be upset or not.
- If you sense you're about to have a mood swing, try to control it by finding a calming routine. You'll have to experiment and find out what works best for you – going for a walk to clear your thoughts or sitting down with a warm cup of herbal tea, listening to a music, etc,.
- You're in a bad mood and if you can't get out of it, talk to a trusted friend about it. You'll feel better and much relieved as if you've taken your anger and frustration off your chest.